Friday, September 28, 2007

The Great Republican Debate

I watched a few minutes of it last night, this great debate for Republican presidential candidates on public television, on matters of import to minority communities, moderated by Tavis Smiley. A few minutes was frankly as much as I could bear. All the "front runners" made their point by not deigning to show up at all--a big, transparent fuck-you, if ever I saw one. The rest, as I saw it, were a bunch of morons, to put it charitably. (Not exactly Right Speech, perhaps, in Buddhist terms, but accurate enough!) To resolve the health care crisis, for example, and the awful disparity in health care service available to rich and poor (read Black and Hispanic vs. white,) these notables suggested fixing the malpractice problem and teaching poor families the values of self-reliance and responsibility. Ah well. I only hope the absentees get their comeuppance at election time for having thumbed their noses at these huge blocs of voters (read "human beings.") Enough. Sufficient unto the day.... As the Bible says.

2 comments:

thailandchani said...

I can't even listen to them. At all. Perhaps this isn't Right Speech either but I often find myself wishing this hollow culture would collapse and fall into oblivion.


Peace,

~Chani
http://thailandgal.blogspot.com

Peter Clothier said...

I'm inclined to say Amen to that, Chani. But I'd like to hope that the rot would create the mulch for something more substantial and humane!