Saturday, June 6, 2009

D-Day

Just sitting here thinking of all those men of unbelievable courage who went ashore on this day, all those years ago--and of the uncountable lost lives that might otherwise have been lived... and of all those other lives that have been sacrificed, since then, to senseless acts of war. We should each spend an hour each day in contemplation of pictures from the Hubble telescope, remembering that, once we have succeeded in eliminating our species from the face of the Earth, the Universe will get along quite nicely without us.

2 comments:

They call him James Ure said...

Yes, we are a speck of dust in the vast scheme of things and I like that. I like being a speck of dust.

It's amazing what those boys did on that June day. I can't fathom the horror and suffering that they had to witness. Such suffering is unimaginable and may they realize the peace of a monks life or something in the next life.

It's amazing that it took them hours just to make it onto the beach let alone cross the beach and then climb the cliffs and take out the pill boxes!! Wow. WWII is one of the reasons I have my degree in history.

CHI SPHERE said...

My father would never discuss his experience at Normandy with my mom and my brothers. He returned home, raised my brothers and I by becoming a carpenter and later was involved with an aerospace firm that did research leading to space exploration.

When I returned from the Nam we spoke one summer evening about our experiences and both wept while remembering the men and women we served with who gave their lives. I have grappled what I experienced as a hospital corpsman in group and in my sculpture since then.

"We are stardust", it has been sung, and we absolutely better "make our way back to the garden" or wiser beings will be looking at our dust!