Thursday, September 3, 2009

A Letter to the President

Noting President Obama's intention to speak to both Houses of Congress next week, I wrote this letter to him today:

Dear President Obama,

My wife and I were delighted to hear that you plan to personally address both houses of Congress next week on the health care issue. We voted for you with great passion for the social and political changes on which your campaign was based. One of our major concerns at the time of the election was the decades-long neglect of our dysfunctional health care system.

We write now to urge you not to surrender the public option that has recently been under attack by your opponents. Our first preference would have been for a single-payer system, but we understand that this option is politically off the table. However, unless your administration can provide an alternative that will require insurance companies to truly serve the needs of all Americans, we regard the public option as the absolute bottom line.

From the news reports we read and hear, it now seems clear that the bi-partisanship you hoped for will not become a reality. Given the intransigence of the Republican opposition in Congress, we urge you to do everything necessary to pass legislation, as seems necessary, without their cooperation.

We believe you to be a man of honor and integrity, and are grateful to have you as our President. We also believe in your strength of purpose, and trust that you will draw on it in the coming days in order to make good on your promise to the American people.

Your sincere supporters,


Peter & Ellie Clothier

2 comments:

peet said...

I bow to your skills with language,
I hope someone in his office
notices this letter.

Pete.

robin andrea said...

I hope he has close advisers who speak to him with the same level of compassion and conviction. I am glad to see that you remain hopeful. I wish I could say the same for myself.