Saturday, February 6, 2010

... and Saturday

It rained all night. It's still raining this morning. George is a bit put out by his enforced stay indoors; he's missing his ball. According to the weather map, we're due for a break in a little while, but another storm sits off the coast. We watched the news this morning, saw Washington DC snowed in--an appropriate metaphor for the state of our government. We watched news clips of Tom Tancredo at that Tea Party convention, spouting hateful right-wing racist propaganda. We will abstain from watching the former Governor of Alaska...

It is, actually, quite delightful to be in our cottage, listening to the rainfall on the roof. I was reading, yesterday, of Thich Nhat Hanh's saying that it's a mistake to say "the rain is falling." What is rain if it is not falling, he asks? Better to say "the falling is the rain." I'm not quite sure that I understand this subtle enigma. Maybe it's a Zen thing, as they say--though Thich Nhat Hanh is not Zen.

Which comes to me from a book I happen to be reading. More of which tomorrow. But then, what if tomorrow is not tomorrow--which it never is? You see what I mean. (I think that George understands these things much better than I do. For him, a ball is a ball is a ball, to paraphrase the inimitable Gertrude Stein. Whether falling or not.)

4 comments:

mandt said...

We'll go with 'raining'. It's the same here: wet, water full, raining, dripping, lush, green and Bodhi is keeping is furries dry! Hello George.

lindsey said...

Want to trade rain for snow? We're supposed to get dumped on again Monday in the mid-west. I could go for some California sunshine!

Peter Clothier said...

mandt, lovely, yes. Good barks to Bodhi from disgruntled George...

And yes, Lindsey. Boo-hoo! Poor Californians, getting a bit wet--before forwarding our bad weather on to you guys in the form of snowstorms. Sorry about that!

LillianAbel said...

Love the weather, not the destruction.

I couldn't watch the Alaska lady either. Who is brainwashing these people? Reminds me of something I read or heard somewhere: 99% of the people in the world are sleepwalking and not present in the world. How about that statement: The voters (for Obama) were uneducated (that's a tame summary of his diatribe). I was embarrassed for him as that's what he appeared to be.