Saturday, June 5, 2010

Whole Lotta Thinking...

.... Going on!

I sat for a half hour this morning in an incessant maelstrom of thoughts. Once in a while the thought came to me that the idea was to be not-thinking and I managed a few seconds with the breath. But then seconds later I found myself thinking again.

It's an odd time. Perhaps it has to do with getting back from being away and the vague, unsettled feelings of fear, anxiety, anticipation, the nagging thoughts of all those things left undone, things that now need to be caught up with. The sense of being behind.

It's one of those moments, too when things seem to be going wrong. In the space of just a few moments last night, as I was trying to get to sleep: George the dog threw up on the duvet; when I went to the kitchen to fetch a couple of paper towels and a sponge to clean up the mess, I found it infested with cockroaches--not the one or two we spot at night sometimes, but six, seven, eight... Horrors! Then, back in bed, I heard the sound of the jacuzzi running. It had been running hours before. It's supposed to run on automatic for two hours a day, then switch itself off. I got out the flashlight, went out in the dark and ventured down under the house to see what was going on. Managed to switch the damn thing off. And got back to bed with a racing mind...

You see what I mean. It's one of those moments. I needed the equanimity of a good, quiet meditation this morning, and sat there in a maelstrom of incessant thoughts...

2 comments:

CHI SPHERE said...

My favorite roach killer is Borax soap and powdered
sugar of equal amounts. They eat it and it causes the flow of food to back up and stop while they keep gorging. Clean them up later with the vacuum hose.

While living in NYC a super recommended it for a roach problem of heroic proportions that I discovered while removing a very old demising wall. As I opened the lower rotting portion with a crow bar a cascade of 10's of thousands of them rolled out like coffee beans falling out of a torn gunny sack!

Very creepy since I had been sleeping next to it for a week and would wake to the sound of a weird rumble inches from my head. One pound of the mix and in one week the place was empty of sound and living critters. They had been feeding at the cats food for months during the 14 weeks I had been out of town.

Maybe it wold work on greedy corporate bank executives and insurance magnets?

Peter Clothier said...

Yeowch! What a story. Thanks for the tip, but it arrived only after the pest exterminators. Hate to use these methods, but the infestation seemed to warrant them. Should have had your notes first! Love, P