Thursday, December 8, 2011

POLITICS

Yesterday I recovered from my computer's trash bin--I have no idea why it was sent there in the first place--a forward from a friend with whom I agree on most political fronts, but disagree on the Obama presidency. It's two weeks since my friend sent these two articles from New York magazine. They were initially published on November 20th, but they so nearly, and so cogently express my own feelings about the two political parties and the president that I wanted to offer others the opportunity to read them, if they have not already done so.

The first is an article by the conservative Republican, David Frum, When Did the GOP Lose Tough With Reality? The second by the liberal-leaning commentator, Jonathan Chait, When Did Liberals Become So Unreasonable? Frum's piece is a thinking man's repudiation of the extremism that has driven conservatism to the point of its current insanity. Chait's is a fascinating historical study of the way the Democrats have treated their presidents--a pattern of disenchantment and rejection that repeats itself and has reached its counter-productive climax with Obama.

These are both substantial articles; they require a little time and attention. But I found them to be absorbing, well-considered, thoughtfully critical and refreshingly intelligent. I hope that you might want to read them, too.


No comments: