Sunday, August 12, 2012

A LETTER TO THE TIMES

(Cross-posted to Vote Obama 2012.)

Here's a letter I wrote this morning to the New York Times, with a link to the op-ed piece that it responds to:
The examples that Ross Douthat ("Romney's Mormon Story," Sunday, 8/12/12) offers of Mitt Romney's generosity reinforce the image of a man willing to help those in his immediate circle: he "shut down his business to hunt for a colleague's missing daughter," "helped build a memorial park when a friend's son died of cystic fibrosis," and "lent money to renters to help them buy a house he owned."  Without wishing to deprecate the Republican candidate's generosity or his religious faith, I find these examples unconvincing evidence of a broadly humanitarian vision that cares deeply about the vast numbers of today's vulnerable and defenseless, both in this country and abroad.  They are evidence, rather, of a narrow, even self-serving view that fails the test of the all-encompassing concern for humanity that is needed in a President of the United States today, in view of the huge challenges that our nation and our planet must imminently address.  The economic vision they exemplify is equally parochial in its implications.  Does Douthat envision a shining Salt Lake City on the hill?  
Given the volume of mail the newspaper receives, I suppose it's doubtful that my letter will see print.  Still, worth writing, if only to clarify the thought for myself.

The basic question I would like to ask candidates and voters alike is this: Do you have plans for those less fortunate than yourself?  If so, please specify.

3 comments:

CHI SPHERE said...

Miff and kid Gipper are both running for office.
The older fellow thinks the younger one is the next president and the younger one thinks he can repeat DuYah's policies!

Looks like a marriage made in heaven.

Gaffer and Grifter, the two entitled men of faith. One served his faith in France during Vietnam and the other was voted "Biggest Brown-Noser" by his high-school class!

I give them both low marks when it comes to serving anyone but themselves.

stuart said...

yesterday, stopping at the starbucks for something cool and refreshing after the Nisei week parade. Walking passed one fellow in dirty ragged clothes who asked for change to buy a sandwich, I reached in my pocket and handed him 81 cents. While waiting in one of the sidewalk chairs a second down on his luck fellow asked for spare change, I gave him my last quarter. When the third fellow came along I had no spare change. He was going to need government assistance.

stuart said...

yesterday while leaving the Nisei week parade, we stopped at Starbucks for something cold and refreshing.
I down on his luck fellow shyly asked me on the way to the front door for any change I might have, I gave him 81 cents. After ordering I went outside to wait for the moca frappaucino, and a second guy,with a sad puppydog smile asked for change I gave him my last quarter.A third fellow followed, he was going to need government assistance