Wednesday, August 1, 2012

A NEW YEAR...

Yesterday, I said goodbye to my third quarter century, and today I start the fourth.  I continue to be grateful for the time that is allowed me, and for the good things age has brought me.  Aside from the physical aches and pains, which I could do without, I'm still (relatively!) sound of mind and body.  I continue to pursue my passion as a writer, and find that I write with greater ease and fluency than I have ever done before.  For this, too, I am more grateful than I can say.  Ellie and I have known each other for more than forty years, and will have been married for forty this November.  That we still share our love, and that it continues to deepen and grow, is something more to appreciate and celebrate as the next birthday arrives.  And for this year's birthday I am blessed with the presence in my life of a fourth grandchild, this one close enough to home to watch him change from week to week and know that I am a loving presence in his expanding consciousness.  I'm grateful, also, for his young life, and for the joy he brings into mine.

So... my apologies if I wax sentimental.  But it's a good day today.  This morning early we will take a walk on the beach and gaze out over the Pacific Ocean, filled with gratitude.  And this evening we will dine with friends.  In between times, I plan to sit out on the balcony of our lovely cottage and enjoy a seventy-sixth birthday cigar... and perhaps, too, a glass or two of beer.

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to you, Peter!

Paul said...

Best birthday wishes to you, Peter.

Jean said...

Happy Birthday - hope you are having a wonderful day!

Peter Clothier said...

Thanks for the kind wishes, all!

CHI SPHERE said...

Happy Birthday Peter. I hope that you have a wonderful year and that all the love and caring you share with your friends and family returns to you in many forms!