Friday, February 15, 2013

SPITE

I see no reason other than pure spite in the current United States Senate action against the nomination of Chuck Hagel as Secretary of Defense.  No matter how they construe it in terms of today's policy, it all seems to hark back to Hagel's open criticism of George W. Bush--considered a betrayal of his party and described as such without apparent embarrassment by Senator John McCain.  Of course, too, there's the barely disguised hostility to President Obama and the adamant opposition to anything he does or says.

It's all so childish, isn't it?  Spite is a sad, rather pathetic little emotion which reflects more upon its holder than upon the person against whom it's held.  It's petty, pusillanimous, and vengeful.  It lacks the slightest generosity or nobility of mind.  It does not become one who sits in the chamber of the US Senate, where superior wisdom is supposed to prevail.

It's this kind of action that leads me to despair of any real progress in this country in the foreseeable future.  What will it take to open those hard hearts up to the generosity of thought and spirit that we need?  How many more disasters?  How much more shameful neglect of pressing issues?  How much more cynicism and ill will?

1 comment:

CHISPHERE said...

I have waited as long as I can to form a way of thinking about the resistance, delay, filibusters and downright belligerent extant within the United States Senate. My anger and disappointment is overwhelming. A petty tyrant is a tormentor and we have elected persons to represent us who are behaving like idiots or miscreants.

The vast majority of Senators are lawyers and persons who have been CEO's of corporations and small businesses. If I operated my business in the manner that the Senate continues to function I'd be shut down by the SBE or the state treasurer. A Senate lacking courage and resolution is a reflection of the breakdown of truth and honesty I demand of my children and those who represent me! I am astonished by the brazen comments and lack of action I see each day on the floor of the Senate. Lindsey Graham has been awarded the Meritorious Service Medal asa Col. in the military. Well there is little to shout about now when he intends to wait until he "feels sure" that all his concerns about Chuck Hagel are answered, remarking that Hagel "would be the most antagonistic secretary of defense towards the state of Israel in our nation’s history."

I am no longer able to turn on the TV to see his insipid face!