Tuesday, November 17, 2015

THE HEART OF A DOG

This it not a review of the new Laurie Anderson movie, "The Heart of a Dog."  I wouldn't know how to write one. The thing is so complex, so profound in its complexity of images, sounds, and "meanings."  I'll just say it's an experience not to be missed.

And add... that I was particularly moved by its evocation of the bardos described in the Tibetan Book of the Dead--a feat I'd have thought nearly impossible to pull off; that I was inspired by many of the quotations--including, for example, the Buddhist thought that it's important to be able "to feel sadness without being sad"; that I loved the gentle, sad, extraordinarily wise, deeply human and sweetly humorous tone of the narration; and that the sheer beauty of sound and image is overwhelming.

But this is not a review.  I wouldn't know how to write one.  Go see the movie and experience it for yourself...

I did have the wonderful opportunity to spend a little time with Laurie Anderson many years ago, back in the 70s, when she appeared for a musical performance at Otis Art Institute, when I was Dean there.  My thanks to my friend Hal Glicksman, then the gallery director, to having invited her; and having invited me to meet with her.  It was a memorable moment.

No comments: