Thursday, April 14, 2016

BOYHOOD MEMORIES

Well, I've got my "boyhood memories" project off the ground, with a good number of men responding with interest, some with enthusiasm. If you haven't heard about this yet in some other way, here it is: I've been reaching out to men to think back to a particularly intense or significant memory from childhood days and let me have a brief account of it. As an example of the kind of thing I'm looking for, I have been including with my request a copy of my post, A Short Story, from a couple of days ago.

As I say in my request letter, it's not about sociology, it's not about psychology, it's not even about fine prose. It's really about connection, about learning more about who we are as men and what made us the way we are. And about saying things out loud. It's something I have practiced a good deal in my life and in my writing career, and I know that it can be a healing, or at least an enlightening experience to take the time to write things down--and share them. And it's something men tend to avoid.

Please, if you're reading this and hear what it is I'm saying, let me know, and I'll send out further information. If you happen NOT to be a man, but know a man well enough to encourage him, that would be great, too.

No comments: