Saturday, October 24, 2020

CELEBRITIES

 A strange, distressing dream last night.

It started with a celebrity couple--a Beyoncé type superstar from the entertainment world and a well-known sports figure who were house-hunting in our area (though it was not our area at all; more like Bel Air). The Beyoncé figure had just finished making a duet song and dance piece with another woman, a peer in stature, in which I was much involved, perhaps only as a spectator. But there was that. Two of them, working repetitively to perfect the importance.

Then there was a very curious bedroom scene in which we were in bed, each in our own house though seemingly cheek to cheek, each with our own spouse--though mine was unknown to me, definitely not Ellie. And I was asking this celebrity woman, whispering, literally, into her ear, as we were trying to fall asleep, to ask if they were going to be our neighbors. She told me sleepily that she didn't think so, and her husband was grumbling that he wanted some sleep.

Then--was this the same dream?--we all moved on to a big gathering of socialites and celebrities for a party of some kind. We were all outdoors, in a kind of wooded glen, a valley, getting ready for the party, or perhaps already partying, and Jake was with us, our King Charles Spaniel, and everyone loved him, wanted to pet him, oohed and aahed...

A game was announced--a treasure hunt? a mystery tour? an adventure of some kind...--with a great fall of whiteness, snowflakes, it might have seemed, but I thought butterflies. Among the thousands of delicate white objects fluttering down were messages on small pieces of paper, like those you find in fortune cookies, directions as to where to go and what to do. 

Mine told me to go to the top of the hill, where I found the group reassembling, jovial, noisy. I began to worry about Jake, where he might be, when suddenly he appeared, dragged along up the hill towards us by the muzzle, limp, in the mouth of some big mutt, black and white, and fierce. He was bleeding badly from the mouth when I rescued him from his attacker and picked him up, held him in my arms. He needed a vet.

I rushed down to the bottom of the hill and found myself in a huge mall, where there was everything but a vet. I wandered on, shouting to anyone who would listen that I needed to find a vet, shouting, "Vet! Vet!", but no one seemed to listen, or know where to find one. Moving on, out of the mall, I ended up in a kind of town square and there, finally, was an storefront--it looked like something out of a Victorian novel--that identified itself as a vet's.

With Jake still limp, upside down in my arms, I went into the store, and found several people at the counter, none of them seeming to have much to do. I called for help, and some one said, "That looks like an emergency," as indeed it was. I told everyone as much, and was frustrated that I could not get any of them to do anything other than look on... And the dream ended with Jake still limp, and badly injured, and unattended.

(I've heard that everyone in a dream is a projection of the dreamer. And I sometimes feel, in today's social and political environment, like I'm being mauled by a big mutt! No joke, really! Otherwise... I have to say that I'm non-plussed).

No comments: