Thursday, November 5, 2020

EXTINCTION?

I'm no expert in the technology of blogging. I started my first blog back in 2004, prompted by the (to me) shocking re-election of George W. Bush, and I got familiar with the old Blogger over the years. Blogger has made changes in its new version that leave me befuddled and unable to do things I was able to do quite easily before. One of them was to be able to respond individually to people who left comments on my posts. (As an aside, I'd be grateful for instruction!) 

All of which is to say that I'm reposting a part of my general response to comments yesterday, in which I tried to find an answer to a very reasonable challenge, suggesting that there are many people whose support for the man who presently occupies our Oval Office can be understood, explained, justified (choose your word) by deeply held personal views or existential circumstance. As they say, "I get that."

But I am still deeply troubled myself by the results of the election.Here's what I wrote, in response to that thoughtful comment (I quote myself, immodestly!):

"I do have some thoughts about [that] comment, because a part of what I was trying to say in my post was that none of the explanations or justifications, no matter how "understandable", get to the root of the problem: that nearly half of America has proved willing to vote for a (fill in your blank) man for reasons that I (in my infinite wisdom!) judge to be trivial beside the enormity of the challenges we face together as a community of human beings, as a country, as a world. If we humans prove unable to look beyond ourselves and our personal needs, wants, traumas even, we are in for bad times ahead. It's not hyperbole to say: extinction."

1 comment:

Dr Mad Fish said...

I couldn't agree more Peter. It's gobsmackingly disappointing to be faced with the difficult truth again and again, that so many humans operate at this low level of awareness. But in some ways it just confirms what I've been trying to accept all my life about people in general. They are basically children. They have never grown up. Growing up requires being responsible and taking responsibility and it's not a popular sell.