Monday, October 19, 2020

PAY HEED

I have noticed that there is an increasing sense of inexorability to the passage of the days, in this time of plague. It requires vigilance. When I allow my attention to lapse, I find that time dulls the senses, dulls the intellect, dulls the spirit, too. It becomes an effort, a chore, to perform even the most basic and ordinary of tasks. Times slows down, drags, and can even seem to bring me to a halt.

So attention must be paid, even to the most basic and ordinary of tasks. Perhaps especially to them. When I remember; I too often forget! Because attention is the only palliative, the only cure for what would otherwise be overwhelming. Attention sharpens the senses, the intellect, and the spirit too into clear awareness, and wrests the mind out of the inexorable passage of days to bring it into the present moment. Which, after all, is the only place there is.

2 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I couldn’t agree more. We are worn down by this pandemic over time and become complacent. Staying focussed on the precautions is important. For my husband and I, we continue our outdoor activity for our physical and mental health.

Peter Clothier said...

How long does the climate allow this, Marie?