Thursday, December 18, 2008

A Celebration of Celebrity



We rented Annie Leibovitz: Life Through the Lens and watched it last night. I'm caught between huge admiration for her extraordinary skill and artistry as a photographer and deploring everything she represents. Most of her pictures, as I see it, celebrate the worst aspects of the so-called American Dream--celebrity, excessive wealth, material surfeit, success, complacency... (Just my judgment, is all!) All this without a trace of irony or hint of social criticism. Ah, well, I suppose someone has to idolize the idols. I'm just in a curmudgeonly mood. It must be Christmas. Or "the holidays"!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I went to see the Leibowitz exhibit at the High Museum in ATlanta when it was there. I thought it was interesting, but the photos I found most compelling were the series about soemone who was dying with cancer. But I do see what you're saying. I won't go see the Biltmore Estate (I did when I was a kid) because I find the celebration of matieral excess kind of revolting. I feel the same way about some movies.