Thursday, May 21, 2009

This Doesn't Do...

... as the body ages. All day at "work" yesterday, down at the Superior Court. Then home in time for a brief rest before heading out across town to dinner with friends. (If you don't know of it, you'll find our friend Edward Goldman's always interesting, often amusing weekly Art Talk on KCRW comments to be a great overview of the passing art scene in Los Angeles. And our friend Miriam Wosk is a wonderful artist who embraces visual excess and encyclopedic information with equal zest in her collage and painting works.)

We met at the Osteria Mozza on Melrose Avenue and enjoyed one of the best meals we've ever had in Los Angeles. Every dish--and we had many of them!--a unique taste. Salads, pastas, entrees... we mixed and matched and had a feast, accompanied by an excellent Italian wine and conversation that managed to transcend the usual noisy-restaurant chit chat and get into some meaty (forgive the pun!) issues.

Altogether an excellent evening--but not without consequences, as I mentioned, on the aging bod. I woke this morning feeling sluggish, passed up on my daily meditation in favor of a cup of tea to get me going, and am now spending my last few minutes in bed with my laptop, before leaving once again for "work." Ah, me...!

There is, of course, a good Buddhist lesson in all this--but I refuse to look at it today. You're welcome to give me the lecture if you feel so inclined...

4 comments:

robin andrea said...

Sounds like a grand evening. Certainly no Buddhist lessons from me. Just hello and checking in on the juror.

Peter Clothier said...

Thanks, Robin. Juror #6 doing well, if more than a little bored right at this moment. We hear that we'll be obligated until next Tuesday or Wednesday, with time off for good behavior on Monday, a holiday. I'm looking forward to the moment when I can write some of this down.

Nancy Youdelman said...

Hello Peter,
No lecture from me either. What a perfectly wonderful evening and I would say that it was very much worth whatever consequences the next day--to be with good friends, have stimulating conversation and fabulous food, what could be better than that!

But of course, I am not a buddhist, just someone who loves to read well written stuff. Haa haa
Nancy

Peter Clothier said...

Thanks for the absolution, Nancy!