Thursday, September 2, 2010

That Manifesto...

(This is the promised "manifesto." If you feel so moved, please act on it. And especially, please consider forwarding or linking on your own site... I regret the need to go political on you but, as I noted a couple of days ago, I can't sit by and watch this election fall into the hands of those concerned with nothing but their profitable bottom lines. Deep breath... here goes:)


SOME SIGNIFICANT BUCKS

I’m convinced that the majority of my friends will be of like mind: we are no less outraged than the far-right fanatics by what’s happening in our country. We’re astounded by the me-first gullibility that blinds so many to our common interest.

It’s all about money. The billionaire Koch brothers have been outed as major Tea Party sponsors. Their power is secretive; Rupert Murdoch and his Fox News make no secret of theirs. Thanks to a recent Supreme Court decision, corporate money can now flow unimpeded into the electoral system.

Those who share my moderate views want reform as much as any Tea Party-er. But we want reform that benefits our country and our world. We value social justice, education, good jobs and opportunity, a functioning economy that benefits us all, conscious stewardship of the planet, world peace…

I’m tired of being the stooge to other people’s billions. $1,000,000 hurts the Koch brothers about as much, say, as $100 hurts me. So today, I PERSONALLY PLEDGE to send that $100 to the Democratic Party, as a contribution to the election effort this November.

(I know, I’m as pissed with the Democrats as youBut PLEASE! CONSIDER THE ALTERNATIVE!)

I HAVE MORE THAN 900 FRIENDS ON FACEBOOK. I HAVE MORE THAN 3,000 FOLLOWERS ON TWITTER. EACH FRIEND AND FOLLOWER MAY HAVE AS MANY FRIENDS AND FOLLOWERS, OR MORE... AND SO ON. THAT MAKES MILLIONS OF US TOGTHER, WE COULD SOON MATCH THE KOCH BROTHERS.

AND THAT’S SOME SIGNIFICANT BUCKS!

(I KNOW, WE EACH GIVE INDIVIDUALLY WHAT WE CAN, BUT HOW ABOUT ALSO MAKING A SMALL MOVEMENT OF THIS, A RIPPLE THAT COULD BECOME A TIDAL WAVE?)

PLEASE JOIN ME IN SNOWBALLING THIS INITIATIVE! SEND IN $100 IF YOU CAN, or MORE. OR $75, OR $50. OR $25, OR $10. ASK YOUR BLOGGING COMMUNITY, YOUR FACEBOOK FRIENDS AND TWITTER FOLLOWERS TO DO THE SAME,

TODAY!!! THE CONSEQUENCES OF INACTION ARE TOO BLEAK TO CONTEMPLATE!!!


3 comments:

dianahobsonfineart.com said...

I have considered the alternative. Nothing is worse than more of Nancy Pelosi and the rest of the Democrats that allowed Fannie and Fred to lend money to indigents, sell the loans to Goldman Sachs and crew, and put all the rest of us underwater. If you want to read a fairly clear explanation of what happened I recommend the "Big Sort" by Michael Lewis.

Peter Clothier said...

Hello, Diana... Thanks for the comment. Worse, as I see it, is the prospect of further unaffordable tax cuts, and the enshrinement of those we can already not afford; further deregulation of the financial and energy industries, whose increasing deregulation in recent years has brought us to our current dire straits; and other supply-side, trickle-down, corporate-favoring fiscal policies that we can expect from Republicans if they return to power. Just my view... Good wishes, P

The Buddha's Face said...

I do hope America can find a way out of an increasingly right wing fundamentalist un-thinking agenda. In Europe we have seen the US as the great experiment in freedom and optimism and liberals like yourself are some of the globe's best citizens - free thinking ,open hearts and a positive attitude. Keep the flame of hope burning - the shadows are growing ever longer and darker.

Kind regards

Ian