Thursday, November 5, 2015

APPLES...

I'm wondering why my cursor disappeared...

I have to say that it's the least of the current problems with my Apple fleet.  They seem to have originated with Ellie's purchase of the new IPhone 6, which resulted in the exposure of a long-standing but previously unrecognized problem with our Apple accounts and email addresses. They seem to be mutually dependent in some mysterious way, so that Ellie's registration of her IPhone made her account and email address the recipient of all our emails.  I'm now unable to send out an email from my own address from any of our devices, including my own laptop. Anything I send out comes from her.

This has been compounded by Apple's new operating system, which so far as I'm concerned is a total disaster.  Having dutifully downloaded it to my laptop, I find that all my old ways must be changed.  Things don't look or work the same. For example... one of my favorite tools in the old system was kept in a little box called "Utilities" on my dock. By simply clicking on it, I had instant access to a dictionary and a thesaurus. Lovely, no?  But now that little box has been eliminated, and it seems I have to access those useful resources in a ridiculously roundabout way. And let's not even mention iPhoto! Whatever happened to the system I had spent hours learning how to use? Gone, seemingly forever...

And what happened to my cursor, when I make an entry in The Buddha Diaries? It doesn't appear until I start to type.

My assistant Maggie and I made an appointment with a genius at our local Apple store's "genius bar" yesterday, to address some of these problems.  We were informed, rather sternly, that we could address only one of them.  We chose the email problem.  After much clicking and clacking, our genius finally admitted that this was a problem she could not resolve: we would need to talk to someone--presumably more genial--by telephone, at Apple Care.

I'm about ready to chuck the whole thing in...

Still, I should maybe look at this as a good Buddhist lesson in accepting the inevitability of change. Unless Apple is... Mara!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have had very similar issues with our laptops and email, disappearing cursor, and disappointment with the new Photo app. I liked iPhoto very much, and this new app is geared to iPhone use rather than laptop. If you get these issue worked out, please post about it. I'd love to know where my cursor goes when it's hiding from me! Good luck.

Ciel Bergman said...

I had similar problems when I dowloaded Yosemite to upgrade from Mountain Lion. I have therefore been very hesitant to download El Capitan. What these "improvements " seem to do, is slow us all down into a mire of constant technical re-learnings
along with feelings of increased impotence. I m about to chuck the whole thing too and just stay with the program I know until its obsolete. Five years?

Peter Clothier said...

Thanks, both. If I ever find my cursor again, Robin, I'll let you know. And Ciel, isn't five years optimistic?